Saturday, May 16, 2009

Changes to Wardrobe and Eating

Since we've been here over a year now, I've been thinking about the changes we've made over the last year. Here are some.

My wardrobe has undergone some upgrades. I now own some kiwi made and kiwi designed items. Winter here feels colder than in Chicago due to the high humidity. I am replacing my cotton turtlenecks (polo here) with merino wool tops. I've also bought some warm cardigans and scarves. So my wardrobe is becoming stylish and warm.

I make pumpkin soup. Here pumpkin is the generic term for winter squash. Pumpkin soup is popular and easy to make. I buy a wedge at the supermarket, steam it and mash it. Then I add it to broth and flavor it with fresh ginger and some seasoning. I serve it with a little bit of fresh cream on top. Pumpkin soup has become a new favorite.

Another favorite meal is stir fry with curry sauce. I keep jars of red and green Thai curry sauce in the refrigerator. Some meat, frozen vegetables, some coconut milk, rice and I've got a tasty dinner.

We make pizza at home. The easiest way is to buy ready-made bases at the grocery store. I buy ready-made sauce as well. For Dennis' pizza we grate Tasty cheddar cheese and put that on top. For the grown ups I saute onions, peppers and mushrooms. Sometimes we put on some pepperoni or sausage, sometimes just veges. Some days I plan ahead and make homemade crust. That is the best! We seldom eat pizza out and I don't buy frozen pizzas.

We enjoy eating some new fruits. In late fall, feijoas are in season. They have a green skin and are aromatic with a sweet perfume. I peel them and put them in our fruit salads. Our neighbor has served them to us in a cake and in a pudding dessert with custard and ginger cookies (gingernut biscuits). Dennis ate 3 or more slices of the feijoa cake.

We eat more kiwi fruit and pears. I buy kiwi fruit and pears in a package or bag; the quality is usually high. I try to buy more NZ grown produce. I buy less melons since they're imported and a bit expensive.

We eat silver beet or Swiss chard. I put it in a lentil soup that is hearty and delicious.

Dennis and I eat Weet-Bix cereal. I especially like the mini variety with bits of dried berries in them. Dennis likes the standard large size. He puts milk on them and then adds 3 spoonfuls of sugar.

We drink hot lemon, ginger and honey. It is a treat anytime and especially good when I have a cold. Another great item for colds is active manuka honey in tea.

Those are some changes, some ways our horizons have been broadened.

No comments: