Sunday, January 3, 2010

Plane and Train Excursion







We took a small plane from Wellington to Greymouth on 28 December. Here are a few of the awesome photos I took. The Marlborough Sounds are just gorgeous. I got to see them a bit when I was on Outward Bound in November. The aerial view was quite a treat.
We were in a six passenger plane. Tom and the pilot, Zion, in the front. Mom and Dad in the middle and me and Dennis in the back, where there was the least leg room. Dennis got to sit in the front when the plane was getting fueled on the ground.
In Greymouth we were picked up by a taxi and taken to our hotel, Revingtons. It felt a bit like a boarding house, a bit run down and older. While Dad rested, Mom, Tom and I took Dennis to the Aquatic Centre for some hydroslide fun. We dined in town at a cafe called Food and Drink. Back at the hotel that night, the bar was busy and noisy. Fortunately for me, I always take earplugs with me when I travel.
The next morning after a plain continental breakfast at the hotel, we went to Shantytown. It's an old-fashioned gold mining town. We panned for gold and got a few tiny bits. I bought some hard candies. Dennis bought some "gold nugget" bubble gum. All this while we ran from building to building in the rain. Rain is a given on the West Coast of the South Island.
Then in the afternoon we boarded the TranzScenic train for Arthur's Pass.






No comments: