, Introducing our kitchen sink (see photo). It's original to the house which we figure was built around 1970. (That's what's on the water heater which works great.) The lovely sink was draining rather sluggishly and we broke the old wood handled plunger. I went to the hardware store to buy a new one and I walked right past them! I was looking for brown rubber with a wood handle. Here they are black rubber and have a black handle. Later I saw the brown plungers at the $2 store. We are hand washing dishes so the drain is vital to kitchen operations.
The plumbing problem was bigger than a plunger could handle. We were getting some backup in the back yard. The drain routers had to be called in. Now the plunger is stowed away. All good.
Another strange thing I realized recently. The washing machines drain into their own pipe. In our Skokie house, the washing machine drained into the laundry tub. I used to buy these lint traps to go over the hose. I haven't seen anything like them here.
It's been raining for weeks so our clothes are being dried indoors on a clothes airer (or horse, aka rack). The woodburner's heat works wonders and the dehumidifier is doing its job. We'll get around to buying a dryer some day. One would be nice for the bed sheets. Most kiwis rarely use a dryer since they prefer lower power bills!
Another strange thing I realized recently. The washing machines drain into their own pipe. In our Skokie house, the washing machine drained into the laundry tub. I used to buy these lint traps to go over the hose. I haven't seen anything like them here.
It's been raining for weeks so our clothes are being dried indoors on a clothes airer (or horse, aka rack). The woodburner's heat works wonders and the dehumidifier is doing its job. We'll get around to buying a dryer some day. One would be nice for the bed sheets. Most kiwis rarely use a dryer since they prefer lower power bills!
No comments:
Post a Comment