Monday, January 17, 2011

Musing of a baker

I have been spending more time baking than updating the blog. After three weeks of admiring all the ovens I saw on holiday, and dreaming of making my own brick fire bread oven (very similar to a pizza oven) I am making up for lost time here at home.

I have resurrected my starter, gone through 12Kg of flour making bagettes, batards, rolls, pizza and a few other things.

I am reading up on how to handle slack dough as my high hydration bagettes (>72%) have been visual flops! (However they tasted great according to all.) My latest effort is trying to get some fire bricks as my current (fifth) oven stone has split in two. But I may just wait on that until after I get a real oven. This small kiwi oven in this place is hard to work with. But as they say ... practice ... practice ... practice.

No comments: