Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Hills

Wellington is hilly is an understatement of epic proportions. My walk to work in the morning only sends me up one hill. It is a gradual incline only on the last five blocks of the walk. But that is enough for me to work up a muck sweat. I do have an alternate route to take that will take off three blocks of that incline and move my ascension to "Pilmers Steps" a alley way of stairs that goes up five stories, putting me out on Boulcott Ave, then a short walk uphill to the Terrace overpass which I can climb with two flights of stairs. From there it is a very gradual downhill slope until I get to Molsworth Street for my final run up to the Ministry of Health.

But this is nothing compared to some of the other hills we have here in Wellington. I walked to Victoria university last night for my Tae Kwon Do class. Take the afore mentioned stairs to The Terrace, then turn left where I walk uphill for about half a mile, then turn right where I go into a switch back or two which brings me up to the Recreation Center. Once I get to the Rec Center walk up four flights of stairs to the locker room, then back down the stairs to my Tae Kwon Do class. I was tired before it even started. We have not even tried to walk to the Botanical Gardens which is by far closer, and higher than the university. A way up is provided by a cable car. The track is at a 45 degree angle straight up from Lampton Quay going westerly for about 1000 feet. Delightful ride well worth the $2 even without the views.

The Botanical Gardens are another wonderful hilly location. Quite beautiful in and of themselves but add to that the delightful views of Wellington it was awesome. Every hill we climbed (up or down) came with another view that was worth the trip. The children's play area was on three levels we were seated at least 20' above the swing sets looking down upon Dennis as he was at the apex of his swing. (I did not want to leave the gardens, in addition to the views my calves hurt to much for the next hill.)

Now you know why all Wellingtonians have strong, shapely calf muscles!

No comments: