Sunday, October 19, 2008

Vacation First Stop - Wanganui




We made our first road trip a week ago. We drove about 2 1/2 hours on Sunday, 12 October and spent the night in Wanganui. Our hotel was called Burwood Manor. It was a simple, no frills motel. For dinner we ate at Thai Villa in downtown Wanganui. Dennis discovered that he likes prawn crackers; they look like pork rinds but are shrimp flavored. I ate meat and vegetables smothered in a peanut and coconut sauce.


On Monday, Tom went to a business meeting while Dennis and I shopped and explored. First stop was a local cafe for a scrumptuous eggs benedict breakfast. We needed to buy some jandals (flip flops) for our walks from hotel room to swimming pool. After that we headed to the beach. On our way to Kai Iwi beach I had to stop and wait for sheep to cross the road. Dennis greatly enjoyed playing in the black sand and finding pumice stones and other rocks. The playground had an excellent flying fox. The scariest part was getting on it, but once I did it was a blast! It went downhill over a creek/inlet and then came backwards over the creek. Dennis did part of it, but I got tired of pulling him up the hill.

Wanganui is an old city built on the Whanganui River (the wh is pronounced like an f). It reminded us of Dubuque and Cedar Rapids, Iowa. We were there for only one day and did not have time to take a riverboat ride. So we will have to visit Wanganui again. It would be a great place for a weekend away.

No comments: