Our neighbours to the South are John and Lilly. John is a Kiwi through and through; having grown up on Dairy farms up by Rotorua. Lilly is a Canadian who grew up in Alberta. John and Lilly met in Japan and have quite a few interesting stories from the various places they have lived.
Well we were invited over for a BBQ on Saturday. Having quite the experience with Kiwi BBQ's I was sure I was up to the task. So I purchased a few steaks, Avocado's and Corn chips. I marinated them in Lime Juice and Garlic (Carne Asada!) and made the Guacamole. The time came closer and we walked next store with the above and a bottle of wine. Only to find that we were at a dinner party for us two families not a BBQ.
How embarrassing for both families. We were welcome but the food was not. So after an hour or so of chatting over appetizers in the lounge it was time to fire up the grill. John and I went for it (the same everywhere) and while in the kitchen I informed him of all the other BBQ's that I have been at and that bringing meat was the norm. (First one I attended I did not know this and felt a bit out of place so I make up for it now!) John told me it was nothing personal just they had planned the meal. I said no as I would rather have the New York strip steak he was preparing anyway. So we laughed and started the grill.
I ran our food back to our house just as the rain started. So when I went back we were standing out under the eve watching the water bead on the griddle as the steaks and sausages were cooking.
The rest of the evening was a great success. Dennis ate a piece of bread and went and watched a movie and the adults had a wonderful conversation. Their stories about life in Japan, Korea and the various parts of New Zealand were delightful to hear. Chris and Dennis left around 10:30pm I left around 12:30am. Wow a wonderful evening it was.
Next morning I ran into John and he was all smiles saying we will have to do it again but this time earlier so Dennis doesn't cut our time short.
I really like my neighbors.
Holiday Sag, Web Wars, Holiday Planning
1 year ago
No comments:
Post a Comment