The walk up went pretty quick, well that was for the first 10 minutes at which point in time Dennis became quite concerned that we had been walking up the hill for at least 20 minutes. His concern turned into wailing of biblical proportions. As we were half way up the hill at that time and there was no one within gun shot, much less ear shot, Chris and I just started walking faster. Dennis' voice faded in the distance until we heard a faint 'mommmm' at which point we waited for him to catch up.
By the time he had caught up we were within site of our first break, and 20 minutes into the climb. The break was nothing of importance just the milestone I told Dennis to keep him focused on something other than the fact that he wanted to go play with his friends. And this was the turning point of the trip for we gave Dennis the opportunity to go 'off track' as Chris and I walked the ridge line Dennis would take the 'direct' path towards our destination. He actually got winded walking up and down those steep slopes. Neither Chris or I could ever remember a time in his life where he ran out of breath. That boy is in great shape.
We did not make it to the very top. To continue was another good hour and neither Chris or I could handle that with our new hiking boots. So we found a good intermediate top along the way and declared victory. Here are some pictures from the 'top.'
Above is the view looking more or less North. It is just a big valley of farms amazing.
Above you can see the inlet where Makara is located; and in the distance the South Island.
Above is Dennis overlooking Petone and Seaview along the North End of the harbor.
Above you can just see downtown Wellington. It is just above the little bit of water in the picture with Chris.
I have some other pictures of our trip on my cell phone I just can't seem to get them to the computer right now. I hope to get that figured out so I can show you the other wonders from up high.
No comments:
Post a Comment