Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Played hookie today!

And took Dennis out fishing at Petone Wharf. He asked me yesterday if I would take him fishing and as there was not much on today I did so.

I started our expedition by buying some fishing tackle, what we had ended up on the sea bed at the end of our last trip. I have recently found a fishing store real close to the house so it was a quick stop on the way to Petone where I spent $25 on hooks, sinkers, and bait. Amazing how expensive that was. But it is all in the name of memories!

When we got there it took a while to setup Dennis new fishing pole, but we got him sorted and he was off fishing for spottys (google it if you are interested.) I fished for something larger. He caught three I caught nothing.

We met some great people on the wharf. Another father son combo was out, they must have hauled in a dozen fish. But there was no envy from me for I did not have to clean those fish! And I got some great fishing tips from them. We now know how to hold the rod when we fish for spottys, how much bait to put on the hooks and how to read the line. So it was a good day.

We also ran into another man who was fishing for something more substantial than Spottys and managed to pull up three real big Spottys. He gave them to us to take home, which delighted Dennis and annoyed me as I had more fish to clean. (I hate cleaning fish)

The cleaning went as well as those things do when you are cold, hunched over, and in your back yard with your kid splashing you with the hose. But we did get it done and have five good looking fish waiting to be cooked.

The worse part of the day was that I did not bring the camera!

No comments: