Monday, July 11, 2011

US Breakfast for dinner ...

We had Biscuits and Gravy for dinner tonight. It is a US recipe which we had to work hard to reproduce. Breakfast Sausage, as one can get it in the states, does not exist here in New Zealand. So I took some Pork Mince (that would be hamburger made with pork as opposed to beef) and added some sage, rosemary, thyme, salt, pepper, and a few other things. Mixed it up and left it overnight.

The biscuits were the standard butter recipe which I have been making for years. The only difference is that I weighed the ingredients as that is how I generally bake these days. It was actually quite enjoyable to make the biscuits as they have no yeast in them. The joys of baking powder!

Gravy can be made in the 12 minutes that the biscuits bake. Cook the meat with onion add some flour to make a roux and then put in boiling milk. Let it thicken and soon you have yum!

For those who are have been kind enough to offer a place to stay while we are on holiday plan on having this for breakfast at least once. We will also make the poached eggs of a slightly earlier recipe.

No comments: