Saturday, July 23, 2011

Winter has arrived

The past two days have been quite the Wellington winter. I am impressed by the cold, the wind and the rain. It reminds me of a bitter November storm back up in Chicago. Of course here it is as bad as it gets.

I have started to wear my overcoat. A big old riding coat with a hood. The coat comes down to my calves (actually has straps to go around my calf but they are too small) and has two series of snaps on the front. It does a good job of keeping the rain off of me but is too warm for most the year. Now it is kind of nice to have another layer.

Today I had a great view of the cloud out of our living room window. It normally over looks a valley towards the south east. Today I was not able to see the houses on the other side of the valley, nice and cloudy.

This house is pretty warm. It is tight without any serious drafts, but only one glass pane for each window. So it gets cold quickly and is hard to keep really warm. Actually we are almost out of firewood for the year. About 1/2 a face cord is left and at the current burn rate that will take only a couple of weeks to burn up.


No comments: