On Tuesday I went to a client in Upper Hutt. As I don't have a car it required that I take two trains so I had some time in the Wellington Train Station. (which is lovely and warrants a post with plenty of pictures of its own.) Walking off the platform into the station I was greeted by two lovely young women who gave me a brochure and told me the Webb-Ellis cup was in the main entrance and I could get my picture taken with it.
I of course looked at them with a blank stare and asked what is a Webb-Ellis cup and why would I want my picture taken with it. They laughed and asked me which state I was from. (My accent meant North America, and a complete ignorance of rugby meant not Canada.) We chatted for a while and I said no-thanks to the invitation for a picture as I wanted a cup of coffee (see earlier post about dead coffee machine) before my next train left the station.
As I walked over to the cafe I had a change of heart. I just imagined my friends saying to me "you didn't get your picture taken with the Webb-Ellis cup! Your not a real kiwi." (See an earlier post about Visas.) So I turned around and went to the main entrance and got in line.
As it was an obnoxiously early hour in the morning there was not much of a line so I quickly went through it. I was asked by a radio hostess for an interview but declined due to the tight schedule.

The arm to the left of the picture was the guard. I looked over at him and asked if I could touch the trophy. He shook his head and laughed at the thought and recommended that I not. So with his permission I rested my arm on the pedestal and smiled for the cameras.
Apologies for the quality of the picture this is from my cell phone which a bystander kindly snapped for me. The link they gave me to their online postings of the pictures didn't work so I can't get the professional quality one. I do wonder if I broke their camera! :)
For those who care to know more here is information on the cup itself
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Webb_Ellis_Cup
No comments:
Post a Comment