Sunday, June 6, 2010

Winter musings

Today I am making Foccia bread with fresh Rosemary. Rosemary is one of those herbs that I recall from North America but did not learn to love until I came down here to New Zealand. This is the first time I have to find Rosemary here in the new house but didn't think there would be a problem as I am sure it will be out there somewhere.

As I was out on my quest it occurred to me that I did not bother putting a coat on. I mean it wasn't raining or anything so why bother. Oh yea that's right it is the middle of winter. I must have completely forgot about that. :) But you could blame that lapse on all the green bushes and trees in the area. I mean the rosemary was in bloom, little purple flowers are quite lovely, and they taste good too!

Well I walked all the way up to the top of the road, not an insignificant climb here on Awarua Street, and no Rosemary! Man that was frustrating, I looked in every front yard on the place, and in a few side yards as well, but not a stick of it. With the specter of failure hanging over my head, I passed my house and walked down the road about 10 houses and found some! Whew. Okay the bush was pretty scrawny but it would do very nicely.

If you look you can find Lemon, Thyme, Dill, Orange, and other bushes growing in peoples front yards around here. Someone brought in a huge box of Mandarins last Sunday at Church. It is very different to me from my life in Chicago. But Rosemary, wow you can find it everywhere here. At the old neighborhood one house has a retaining wall that was covered in the stuff. I mean about 12' tall and 10' wide busy heavy rosemary. And there were plenty of other plants on good old Pitt Street. I have seen a few walking down to the train station which is why I knew one would be down there. Just thought I would try going up first.

So back to the story. I went home and made some great bread. (recipe from breadcetera.com) But it is way too much for the family so I cut up a bunch and brought it down to the very same house where I got the rosemary. Gary, the owner, was quite taken back when I knocked on his door and introduced myself. But he recovered quickly and tried to strike up a conversation with Dennis who was playing shy.

No comments: