Well today I was determined to get this repaired. First stop was the local bike store. Which was closed for the season. Second was the local hardware store, Placemakers, where, as I expected, they had nothing. They suggested a skate board shop however no one had any idea where to find one. As I got back into the car I remembered the day I purchased the electronic skateboard that there was a skate shop in the area. So I was off to down town Wellington. Fortunately I found a parking space right on the park which I had to cross to get to the shop.
As I drew near to the shop I saw a bustling ice cream business so I figured I had the wrong place. Upon further inspection I saw that there were two businesses in one. The skate shop on the right and ice cream/coffee on the left. So walking to the right I waited, and waited, and waited while the highly tattooed man behind the ice cream counter was free. I explained to him my delema and showed him the parts I had and he was sure he could find a bearing but there was nothing for the axle. Five minutes later it appeared that all spare bearings were sold and I would have to purchase an eight pack for skate boards if I was going to get this done. Then he looked at my kid and said I may have a used one around here. Pulling out a jar which would look at home in any garage he dug out a nice greasy bearing and slipped it into the wheel and said 'Merry Christmas.'
I thanked him by buying two ice cream cones. Dennis enjoyed a rocky road and I white chocolate. So now to find an axle. As it is a simple machine screw back to Placemakers. Where I was recognized upon walking in the door and quickly was directed to the loose screws (figure there is a joke in there somewhere.)
After a few minutes I found the size (M8) and the length required (15mm.) The bad news is all they had was an M8 at 20mm. So back to the audience (yes they watched me) and I told them I needed 15mm. Okay. Happiness registered on their faces as they could direct me to the next isle where (oh joy) I could buy a package of 15mm M8's!
The rest of the story is kind of anti-climatic. However Dennis is now a happy kid riding his scooter.
No comments:
Post a Comment