Over the weekend we went to a church camp. Forest Lakes camp in Otaki, as there may be one or two of you who do not know NZ geography that well please let me explain. Otaki is along the west coast of NZ, about an hour north of Wellington. If that is not enough information click on the map on the far left, we market it (or will shortly for those who are very quick on following our updates.)What always amazes me about New Zealand is how the average kiwi is willing to live on the edge compared to what I grew up with in America. In the past you have heard us talk about the 'flying fox.' A lovely contraption that you can find in almost every play park around the country. Well this camp was the same. They had a very very long flying fox. It required two people to operate it communicating via walkie talkie! The run was about a 500 yards (1/4 mile) and it went through a small woods, and out over the lake to an island connected via a short bridge.
There were two seats for the contraption, the adult at the recieving end would take the seat apart, give it to the child who would run it back to the start for the next kid to have their turn. The adults would talk via walkie talkie to time the release of the next kid. Amazing!
They did have a seat belt for those who rode the fox. I am not sure it would have done any good if they let go just dragged the rider through the water. I will let you judge for yourself by this next picture a closeup the contraption with a very unlikely rider!

There were quite a few ladies who rode the flying fox. Only one guy did so. Just for the record I want it to be known there is a weight limitation of 200lb. The only reason why I did not go on the flying fox, and I am sticking to that story!
There were plenty of other things to keep us busy while we were there. I think Dennis favorite was the mud slide. Apparently this is a normal thing at camps. A big water slide that empties into a pit of mud. A very big water slide I may add. I couldn't see the top from the pit but way up there somewhere was a line of kids just waiting for their turn to splash the adults at the bottom.
I suppose I should have turned that picture 90 degrees but I guess you get the idea.
Dennis just loved the time with the children from church. Even with how small the church is it is amazing how many people we do not know in the church, we were able to make a few more friends and in general had a good time.
No comments:
Post a Comment