Thursday, March 26, 2009

Tale of two cars

At a networking event today I was offered a ride home by Paul, a friend of mine. As we were near the waterfront and it would be about a 40 minute walk up to the house I accepted. Here is Paul behind the wheel of his car.




When I accepted I did not realize that Paul was driving his Lotus today. I thought he would be driving his SUV. So being the opportunist I am I asked if Paul if he would let me get a picture of me in the car, something for the blog I said. I called home at a light and asked Dennis to grab the camera and meet me outside in five minutes. What I did not realize that we would be going up the windy wadestown hill at 100km/hour so we were there in about one minute. This car is fast, very fast, it hugs the road quite well. And Paul is a retired professional race car driver so he knows how to go fast!
After the quick ride up the hill Dennis was no where to be seen, so I called out for him, called the house again, still no Dennis. I finally got out of the car to go looking, and lo and behold I found Dennis behind the wheel of yet another rare car in Wellington.



Notice the wheel is on the left side of the car, a US import! I am sure that my dad can fill you in the year, make and model. I unfortunately am not that good at those things. What happened is that Dennis went outside and the owner of the red car offered to take a picture of him in the car. Well not to be outdone Paul asked Dennis if he would like a ride in the Lotus.


They whipped around the block once or twice, I could hear them the whole time as they flew through the windy hills of our neighborhood.
As an aside, the Lotus is street legal in NZ. Paul had it custom built with headlights and turn signals. NZ does not require a windshield wipers etc. You can see the Warrant of Fitness sticker under Dennis' face in the picture above.
NZ never ceases to amaze me, where else will you be able to drive in a race car on the road? Where else will you run into someone who owns a street legal race car and simply offer you a ride? Great place hey?


No comments: