Sunday, November 1, 2009

Dry Riesling

In a world of great white wines it is rare that one stands out. So I
was quite surprised, and pleased, when I tasted Waimea Dry Riesling
for the first time last week. This wine is made in Nelson, far North
end of the South Island of New Zealand.  Nelson is always in
the top five of the sunniest places in New Zealand so as you can
imagine there are plenty of vineyards in the area. Just google
"vineyards nelson new zealand" and see for yourself!

I had not heard of Waimea before last week when our friends served us
a glass. I found out that they were on sale ($12.99) at the local
supermarket so we ran out and picked up a dozen.

Describing wines is not my forte - so please bear with me. This is a
rich wine with a pleasant fruity bouquet, it has a surprisingly heavy
body for a white wine which only adds to the character. It goes well
with the typical New Zealand cheeses and we enjoyed it with an
Asparagus Quiche for lunch this weekend. A much more technical
description from the wine maker can be found here ... http://www.waimeaestates.co.nz/tastingnotes/pdfdocs/WAIMEA%202005%20DRY%20RIESLING.pdf




If you find it in North America please let me know!

No comments: