Monday, November 16, 2009

Lake Ferry

This past weekend (Saturday through Monday) Dennis and I went to Lake Ferry.  For those who do not know New Zealand Geography (and I suppose for those who do) Lake Ferry is about 20 miles from Wellington ... if you were to fly East South East over the bay and over the Rumitucka mountains.

It is a 90 minute drive.

You have to go all the way to Upper Hutt, and then over the mountains, and then all the way down Martinbrough Valley to the water.  There are two bridges over the river that runs down the valley so choose your route, and your bridge wisely.  (BTW Google shows another bridge which doesn't exist, mercifully I spoke with some friends who have family who live down by Lake Ferry.)

We stayed in a tent at the Gateway Holiday Park (www.gatewayholidaypark.co.nz) the park is small even by New Zealand standards however we had a great time.  This is so typical New Zealand.  We arrived an the inn keeper was in Wellington for the soccer game.  He left a sign on the door saying to text him if you needed a room, and if you wanted to camp just have at it and come find him in the morning.  This place is so trusting!


So we choose a well sheltered place from the wind.  And a good thing we did as the winds were upwards of 70mph over the weekend.  I was waken up more than once as the tent attempted to fly away with me in it.  Yes they were very strong winds.  Dennis enjoyed the trampoline and meeting the other guests at the park.  There were no other children which was disappointing but he made up for it by befriending the park dog.


On Sunday Dennis and I went to the Seal Colony and light house.  This is the furthest south on the north island.  Desolate is the word that comes to mind.  The road goes right along the ocean for most of the drive and there is no one there.  One town outside of Lake Ferry and a few Batchs (summer homes) here and there.


The Seals were the hit of the day.  Dennis loved them and wants to go back.  I am quite keen to do so for there are a few other sites down there which I would like to explore.

No comments: