Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Old friends

Today I got together for a coffee with an old friend Chris from the Ministry of Health ...

Has anyone else noted the irony in that? Only been here two years now ...

Chris and I meet at a training session for Managers in the Civil Service about NZ Law (note word 'Law' not something mamby-pamby such as 'rules and regulations') for purchasing goods and services. That was the Wednesday of my second week at Health, so 30 April 2008 I met Chris.

Now he is an old friend. I was musing on that as I made way home today and saw all the familiar sites and sounds of Wellington this new city is no longer new. My new friends are no longer new. I am making the transition to home here.

Chris is still at the Ministry of Health, which is going through yet another restructure, this time Chris is 'affected.' (for those with a short memory, or recent readers of my blog, this means Chris is out the door soon unless he can land another role.)

I feel for him having been there very recently. And more importantly I feel for him as Chris was one of the few guys who made a point to stick with me as I made my transition from Health last year about this time. He has been a real friend for me, I hope I can do half as much for him.

I started by shouting the coffee.

No comments: