Took the family up the moutain for a bird's eye view of Wellington and the South Island on Sunday. As Dennis was not feeling very well Chris and I figured we would take him up about half way to Mount Kaukau, and then she would turn back and I would continue the journey.
When we got just short of half-way I snapped this picture, our home is just before the valley opens up. (If you look real close you will see a blue roof our home is the green room just up the hill from the blue roof. Got it?)

We continued to the sign (no picture unfortunately) and I gave my coat to Chris, it had my keys and as it was much warmer up in the sun than I had thought it would be I didn't need it at all. Well she and Dennis turned back to go home and I wandered up the hill.
It is so hard to describe how beautiful it is up there. Once I rounded the bend and went up a wee bit this is what I saw.

Still the picture does not do it justice, even two pictures. That would be 2000 word essay worth cannot describe how it feels to be up here. Notice the South island in this picture.

It is desolate up here, all you really see is pasture, sheep, water, and some mountains in the distance. Turning to my right the valley to the north.

Just to the right of the above picture is Mount Kaukau my destination.
I do wish that I had taken my camera with me as the pictures would have been so much better, but these are not too bad for a cell phone. Plus the cell phone add the extra benefit of not having one of those lanyards to carry it with, so I had to put the phone back in my pocket. This was a good thing, for as I put my cell phone back into my pocket I noticed that I had my keys!
Now you may remember that I gave Chris my coat with my keys in it so she could unlock the house. So here I am on the ridge, Chris expects that I will be two hours behind her; and she has no way to contact me. I may have my phone with me she does not have hers.
So I quickly start to go back to the house. Run on the flat (I don't run downhill.)
I did enjoy the view of the valley on the way down, there were at least two better photo opportunities than the one I took, however they will have to wait for my next trip up the hill as I was in a hurry.
I finally did make it home to an open door and a happy family. Inquiring as to how they entered in the house I found out that my son had crawled through the bedroom window. Few windows here in NZ have screens, so no damage was done. But I was still impressed as there is only about 6" wide opening.
Dennis was quite happy with himself for having crawled through the window, especially given that he had his mother's approval.
1 comment:
NO WORDS!!!!
Post a Comment