Saturday, August 15, 2009

Sydney!

We have a great picture of Dennis and I with the Sydney Opera House over our right shoulder. This was taken on the ferry ride back to Neutral Bay after a delightful day wandering around the city.

We started our day at the Powerhouse Museum (http://www.powerhousemuseum.com/) The Museum of Science and Industry was Dennis' favorite back in Chicago so we thought he would enjoy this one as well. What I did not expect was how much fun I would have at this museum! There were plenty of interactive exhibits for the children that entertained me as well. (No comments from the peanut gallery please!)

The exhibit I liked the best was the space exhibit. They showed a Russian Lunar Lander. (I didn't even know they had one, did you?) A whole bunch of replica manmade satellites including a replica of Freedom One the current habitable orbiter.

After the museum we met Monica and Kurt at Hanna's Hot Pies (http://www.hannahs.com.au/) and I had a beef pie with Mushy Peas. Quite tasty I highly recommend it.

AFter lunch we started a two hour walk to circle quay and the warf. We wandered through Hyde Park. Then up Macquarie Street where we saw the Sydney Hospital, Library, Parliament House, and the Cathedral. We then took a detour through the Hotel Sofitel and to an aboriginal art gallery. I just managed to get Chris out of there without buying anything. We ended up at the Custom's House where they have a three dimensional model of Sydney under a glass floor. From there across the street to the Wharf and our boat home!

No comments: