Saturday, December 12, 2009

Perseverance

There are five tenants of Tae-Kwon-Do - Courtesy, Integrity, Perseverance, Self-Control, Indomitable Spirit.  Today at the Christmas party an award was given for each, I received Perseverance.

The fact that I was going to be given an award was known in the first sentence.  "This award is going to the biggest man in our class, who sweats the most."  The children giggled and looked at me.  The he said a few other nice things that were about me before he got around to mentioning my name.

In reflection later today it seemed an apt award.  I have pushed my way through the general limitations of  30 years of lethargy and my size.  TKD is a sport for fit slim folks.  It is all about speed and flexibility, my kicks may hurt more than the little guys I just can't hit them!  They move around way too fast and in the interim put their foot into my face ... as I found much to my dismay during my Blue belt test last week.

Why do I keep at it?  Well I have lost weight, can balance myself on one foot, learned how not to fight (still working on how to,) learned how to kick property, have managed five push-ups (press-ups for those down under reading this) in a row, but mostly I have learned how to get myself there twice a week, take a beating either (literally or figuratively,) and smile through the pain.

I am certainly a beginner in this.  Today at the party a motivational speaker showed up.  He said something which made me smile, "An amateur practices until he does it right, a professional practices until he can not do it wrong."

I realized that I have not even made it to amateur status ... yet!



No comments: